Turn Halloween candy into gingerbread house bling

by Christina on October 22, 2012

Every time I write about my take on Halloween candy, I hear from people who think it’s wasteful to throw some of it away. And I get that. As I’ve written before, that’s why we don’t canvass the neighborhood and collect a boatload. It’s why we do candy experiments. And it’s why we do this:

Chemical candy doesn’t look so heinous when it’s a craft supply

Frosting as glue, not food

Nerds pebbles and Smarties shingles

Lollipop tree and Tootsie Roll logs

Do we still throw some candy away? You bet. And of course the gingerbread house itself eventually gets tossed, too. But first there’s fun and a giant mess. And that (not candy) is what childhood is all about.

A shopping tip: Because we don’t eat our gingerbread houses, we buy the kits, the ones with pre-made walls and pre-fab frosting. But we buy them after Christmas, when they’re practically pennies, then save them until the next year. In the cabinet waiting for this December: a mini gingerbread village. Pictures to come.

Anyone else done gingerbread houses Halloween-style? Or are you trying it this year for the first time?

Spoonfed is on Facebook. You’ll find links to blog posts, news and commentary on raising food-literate kids, questions and comments from readers, voices, viewpoints, the works. Stop by, like the page, chime in, spread the word. (Thanks.)

An additional note about Facebook: As much as I love the immediacy and real-time interaction Facebook offers, there’s no guarantee with Facebook’s new algorithms that all my posts will show in your news feed. (Not to be presumptuous or anything, but I assume that if you “liked” the Spoonfed Facebook page, you did so because you actually want to see what I post.) Checking the Facebook page regularly helps, as does liking, commenting on and sharing Facebook posts. But the only way to be sure you see Spoonfed blog posts is to subscribe by e-mail or RSS feed (which you can do at the top of the blog). Thanks, all.

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2012 Christina Le Beau
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 7 trackbacks }

Trick-or-treating dilemma: What to do with all that Halloween candy?!?
October 25, 2012 at 8:14 am
Healthy Halloween Habits | Kids Heart Real Food
October 28, 2013 at 12:09 pm
I'm alive. And on the radio. Discussing candy. | Spoonfed
October 6, 2014 at 2:00 am

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Andie October 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm

what a great way to get rid of all that candy!

2 Andrea October 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm

It fascinates me when people say it is wasteful to throw away candy, or not finish what’s on the plate in front of them. What is it that you get in return, I want to know? Heartburn, food coma, extra fat, which leads to cholesterol and blood sugar problems…is it really worth it, or is it better in the end to just “wastefully throw it away?” (That is if you are not in control of portions, of course.)

I love your site and I love this Halloween article. Thank you for the link to candy experiments – that sounds like fun for kids and adults! I am positive my husband will love it ;-)

3 traci October 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I am completely on board with you and will be saving some of my nephew’s candy for gingerbread houses, but since he is new to eating real food, I feel I can’t take it all away from him, so we will ration. I found some great kettle corn mini bags that are made from real ingredients and don’t have too much sugar, so I will be passing those out this year. However, the other adults in my house think I’m crazy…I think the kids will like it though.

4 Robin Jingjit October 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm

That is such an awesome idea-buying the gingerbread houses on clearance and saving them. Brilliant!!
They don’t really sell them here in Thailand- in the past my mom has sent one for the boys, but the shipping is so expensive. This year I’m trying to think of how to make a fake one with cardboard or something.

5 Nora November 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I always buy the Halloween gingerbread house/village kits on clearance..:they’re the same exact houses and we always pitch the included frosting/candy and add our own anyway!

6 Sarah (Kids Heart Real Food) October 22, 2013 at 10:39 am

I love this idea! My little guy isn’t old enough yet to know what a gingerbread house is but I will definitely be encouraging this when he is. I’m working on a Halloween post as well as will mention this for sure.